Thursday, July 5, 2007

The end is near!! Again!!! For the umpteenth time!!!

I love my wife...honestly I do. She can be a real pain at times, but I have never been the picture of calm and perfect. I will freely admit this; the older I have gotten, the less tolerance I have for stupidity and crassness. Yes folks, I am WELL into the process of becoming a grumpy old man. To which I say 'Fuck em they can't take me'. So yeah, she is a saint at times for putting up with me. She does have one quality that I absolutely, completely hate. Ironically it is the one that she makes me put up with the most often. What is it you ask? Reality shows..

I will admit that I actually liked the fist series of Survivor. Heck, I liked whatever the hell the series was that had Rupert on it. I can even say that I have contemplated calling up Chuck and asking him about trying out for Amazing Race. Past that, I really, really, really hate reality shows. Although the hate I have for these shows runs deep and hard, and there are LOTS and LOTS of reasons why I hate them, there is one reason that is the prime factor in my complete disgust at them...the word reality. Yet here I sit again (forced) watching the worst of the worst...Big Brother.

I always thought that reality meant things that can actually happen in real life. Or at least something loosely along those lines. However Big Brother (OK, I really have to include every single fucking MTV series!!!!!!) seems to ignore this. Specifically, they introduce a whole household of models and 6 pack dudes, the oldest being what...29, and tell us that THIS is a true slice of America. Heads up CBS, the VAST MAJORITY of the US doesn't live in dorms doing crunches all day. The sheer fact that they populate these shows (pretty much every single CBS reality show) with these folks and tell us that the players are the 'average American' is reason enough to be pissed. Adding to the factor is that these individuals insist that they are the best simply because of their looks, and it just makes me want put a few rounds into my TV.

CBS also includes two 'stereotypes' in their shows; the gay man and the 'older' person. I guess they figure if they are actually challenged on their premise, they can point two those two individuals and claim they really are representing the medium. The gay males are pretty much cookie cutter versions of Jack from Will and Grace..funny at first, annoying after the newness wears off. The 'older' person has at least been the one person that MOST times actually looked like the rest of us. OK, Chicken George and Richard were scary, but WTF, they were guys I think I have worked with. This year on Big Brother though it looks like CBS decided to drop the sham and just do what makes them money. So here I sit watching the new household (THANK YOU DEAR) and each and EVERY one of them is an add for Avercrombie and Finch.

I guess I should thank CBS for this. At least my wife has no grounds to tell me that I am exaggerating anymore...oh that and the brunette with big boobs who wears bikini tops.

No comments: